Sunday, November 26, 2006

Paradox of Love

Was having a conversation with a friend lately…when she suddenly said….

“The paradox of love”

“What??” I asked her.

“Its true isn’t it? Unconditional love is loving someone with the no hope of getting love back…in unconditional love you don’t expect anything” she said. “If love does come back your way, then you are just the lucky one.”

I thought about it for a sec. “What sorta unconditional love are you talking about? The blood relation?” I asked her.

“No” she said. “A blood relation, like a mother or father towards her/his children will always be unconditional. It’s when you have a choice that I’m talking about” she said.
“In our case, when we love a man, we can choose to love unconditionally, fairly or selfishly.” …she moved on to say… “I wouldn’t love any man who doesn’t love me back, and I’ll always check his love- not with what he says, practically every man has a truck load of words, but at what he does.”

“What do you mean?” I asked her

“You know, the small romantic stuff he does, like flowers, letters, long emails, poems, songs, calls, when he takes time to do such special things…ill know he thinks I’m worth it. Every woman wants to feel like she’s worth it”

She then asked me “what do you think?”

“I don’t know” I said. “Sometimes words are enough…a simple “I miss you” seems enough…..poems, songs, letters…everyone loves them, but sometimes, words are all someone has to take one’s heart away…right?”

She smiled at me. Unconvinced. She said “Listen girl. I give but I don’t get. Does that mean I stop giving? Ya!! Tit for tat. You need to teach men how to be romantic. Well actually some men were born sweet. But most men, they give and give and give while they date, flowers and dinners and letters. But at some point it stops. They get bored, take their woman for granted. Why should it stop I say? Even in my old age I would still write my old man a letter and want a reply back, I’d pick him a flower and sing him a song. And would love for him to do the same. Wouldn’t you?”

“Erm…yeah I hope so.” I said. “But still, “romantic” is relative. Sometimes an sms is romantic enough. At most times a memory is enough na? Maybe a flower or a letter or a song should be for special occasions only, why everyday or without occasion? People are just plain busy. I know some women who love to do stuff for their man, but don’t expect him to do the same, and they are happy. Not all women are demanding of much love, low profile will do for many.”

“So you’re saying that romantic moments should occur on occasion? Fine then. Why not only love on occasion, why love someone everyday? Every miniute, every sec? Everyone is just plain busy right? Why waste our time loving? Love is cheaper and less hurtful if you love on occasion right? And women who give and give will one day realize that its not worth it. Every woman would love a small gesture of love everyday, something special. Women need to make themselves feel worth, but being worth it and not settling for second best. And men need to realize that women have feelings too. And can be crushed if the loving is less than the very best.”

I am befuddled, but I think I’m right.

I put this question to the readers…what do you think?

The type up was as close to the convo as I can remember. She is one hell ova debater. The woman who will fight for love, provided her love will fight for it too. I know she’s not a believer in sacrifice. But as a woman, I think sacrifice is sorta inevitable in our instance na? Somewhere down the line all women make more sacrifices than men in love. We compromise more. I know, being a gender student this is theoretically the wrong thing to say, but still, being a member in society its true in many many most instances. So tell us what you think. MizBold, Radiance, Hayah…have your say too!

Anonymous

11 Comments:

Blogger powdered thoughts said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

November 26, 2006 2:15 PM  
Blogger powdered thoughts said...

From whatever I have learned so far, one thing I know is you shouldn't compromise. Not at all when its ur heart that is involved.

Sometimes a phone call is enuf, sometimes plain memories are. But are they really?

Every time I see an old couple passing by, holding hands...unfortunately its mostly only foreigners who you see literally holding hands and at times smiling at each other for no particular reason, I just end up telling to myself "that is what i want"...and for me, and I think now that its the same for every independent thinkiing woman, to stand by somebody for that long and that strong, I need to be loved back, I need to appreciated back....not just on occasions but on a very day basis. I need to feel that its the right deal,,,the right person. And how do I think I will feel that??...that is what is tricky...lol...I dont think that a few calls when he has time and some sweet words he feels like is gonna enuf for that. I am bg too u know,,,:P

It does seem true that it is us, the woman folks, who end up making more compromises than our male counterpart when it comes to practicalites, but when is even more profound when I come to think of it is the way we tend to be so very accepting of the person we love. Cards on occasions are enuf. Sometimes just a sms will do. After all he is very busy right? Aicks!!

This whole love and man-woman thing is complicated. At least for me it is. But having said all of it, when I am to love somebody, one thing I know is I won't do it conditionally or selfishly. And here I really would like to believe that there is something called "unconditional love" that works both ways. Or else, what is the point of anything at all?

November 26, 2006 2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know nothing.
I love him.

November 27, 2006 9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What does love mean to you?
A word so wrongfully abused
Are you like me, confused
All included but you
Alone...

A in C.

November 28, 2006 9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

in the name of love
he simply lost his life...
a drifter now he is
chooses to wave his hand to trees
reaches home early
to sleep quietly
"enough!
would have been better with a whore",and he sleeps.

the sun shines blue the next morning
his brown eyes glitter like the moon...
"ah! just a hangover,
but when did i drink?"
answers he doesn't need
questions he has enough to feed
twisted curves and dots(???)
patterns he chooses to be...
in the name of love.

kmlsh:)

November 28, 2006 9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

paradox of love????????
when i think of my old age i always dream of an evening walk holding hands of each other buying a flower for each other ..........
cooking for each other
i wish my dreams will come true even if it doesnt i would still be happy with what i will get ........

November 29, 2006 5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One thing: Pls dont generalize about sacrifices like that! Just accept: things were not meant to be the way they were thought of. or , if they will happen .. they will.

Now, most importantly , if you ask me .. what makes me jolly/good/happy-go-lucky wherever i go, whoever i meet .. i would certainly say, its LOVE growing on every cells on my body. Now, if you'd ask me , and who do you love MR ? i would go : hmmm . i dont know. Well , not that i sacrificed , or i was sacrificed .. lol , but things didnt work the way it should. Or perhaps, things are working but i am oblivious of the fact right now! Anyways, "positives" is what matters! LOVE - be always in. And , LOVE yourself for the one who you love may not love you the way you love yourself. The day he/she does , you've got a perfect match and you're set off for the next milestone in your life! THEN, with your love around.. but a search for something else .. NOW , thats what i think. doesnt necessarily convince you! :)

December 02, 2006 10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, im inspired! Thanks Shai for the ntry. Plain Jane, so true na? wow, to end up old and feeling brand new each time u look into ur lovers eyes....*sigh*...may we all be that blessed!! And Elf, its easy to be happy go lucky...to be saddened by the one who loves u is hard.

I'd like to say to all u guys out there...every woman wants to be constantly told some way or the other that you love her!! we never get bored of hearing it!! :)

regards,
Hayah

December 02, 2006 11:24 AM  
Blogger Blogbhoots said...

Hey anonymous

In my opinion there cannot be something like unconditional love. When you love someone it is natural that you expect love in return except in the case of crush where you tend to like people whom you have never met. So yes especially in case of women, as Hayah has said, they expect love in return when they love someone whether it be love between two lovers or mother daughter, father-son, platonic love or anything. I think even guys expect that.

So small gestures to show that you love and you care is necessary and this makes life lot happier and lot more satisfactory

Radiance

December 05, 2006 12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love?Luv is like a cocaine...once u eat,u hook into it...if u havent...u dont even gauge what it is like (re)haha

January 03, 2007 10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

meri pyari rosha,
if cocaine were to be eaten, then:

momo to be snorted
pot to be sipped
chowmein to be drunk
water to be chewed

hehe...apologize for being a smart ass!

January 05, 2007 11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home